We bought the Fantastico Deluxe installer last week, which in my humble opinion is one of the most decent for CPanel servers. We installed it, tested it and everything went smoothly. Today a client reported a problem with the encoding of a wordpress installation. I reviewed things and immediately shed light on the problem, the databases were encoded by default Latin1 instead of UTF8 as it was supposed. It's even more fun, that in phpmyadmin it is written that UTF8 is used by default, drama. I decided to look at the Fantastico files to see if there was somewhere where I could provide the default database settings at first glance I didn't see anything. Then something rushed me to see what is in my.conf and what to see there were no corresponding settings in the configuration and everything works as it is set by default. The Mysql server is hardcode to use UTF8 if it is not configured with other settings and the Fantastico is obviously with Latin1 ( which is a pretty stupid decision). The solution as always is trivial added 2 order c [mysqld] part to make UTF8 the default encoding and everything falls asleep 🙂

character-set-server=utf8
collation-server=utf8_general_ci

I have no idea why I missed these settings given that I was playing to do a few “fine” mysql settings.

Enhanced by Zemanta